Indigenous Business Month October 2023
Indigenous Business – Protecting your Artistry & Navigating the Law
As a part of Indigenous Business month 2023, the Cairns Chamber of Commerce, together with Cairns Regional Council and the Department of Youth, Justice, Employment, Small Business and Training are running a series of workshops to provide opportunities for Indigenous start-ups and newly established Indigenous businesses to learn the fundamentals of business.
This workshop will focus on safeguarding your business, your brand and your intellectual property.
Artist and CBWC Indigenous Businesswoman of the year, Jedess Hudson, will share her real-life journey, experiences, struggles and successes of being an artist. A descendant from the Ewamian and Western Yalanji people of North Queensland, Jedess is an established Aboriginal creative who presents traditional stories through fine art, media and graphic design.
Local lawyer, speaker and mother, Donna Patane, is the only specialist intellectual property and registered trademark attorney in Far North Queensland. She makes the law easy to understand, is down to earth and passionate about helping entrepreneurs and business owners protect themselves, commercialise new ideas and grow business. Donna will discuss:
- Getting recognised and paid for your artistic and intellectual efforts.
- Use an IP strategy to maintain control and competitive advantage.
- What to do when your name is your brand.
- Sharing without losing control of Intellectual Property.
- What to expect when contracting with printers/distributors.
- Indigenous knowledge and IP law – the similarities, differences and how they cross over.